Printing Strategy for Splints
Layer Thickness: 100 μm
Software: Alpha 3D
1. Print Analysis
A. Critical Areas (No Support)
- The most important location on the splint is the interior area where it fits on the teeth. For the best fit, this area must be printed without supports. This side faces upwards, so it is not supported.
B. Main Support Area
- The reverse side must be completely supported because the fitting area is not supported. Add supports to the entire rest of the smooth surface as necessary.
A. Put the model in a horizontal position. The reverse side faces the base plate.
Avoid printing Splints in the vertical orientation because deformation and shrinkage can occur.
When adding supports to the model, we recommend the following procedure:
- Open the Supports panel, apply the settings as shown below, and click the Auto Support button to add supports.
- Click the Manual Support button and remove any supports that are too close together.
- Add supports to any areas that have too few supports.
- Change the support settings to be the same as the Base Support settings shown below.
- Remove all supports along the lowest points of the print.
- Add more manual supports (with the Base Support settings) to the lowest points of the print to make sure that area is securely attached to the build platform.
You must select an object to add supports to that specific model. You cannot use the Auto Supports or Manual Support functions with all models at the same time.
- Point Size: 0.5 – 0.9 mm
- Elbow Size: 0.8 – 1.3 mm
- Bottom Size: 1.1 – 1.6 mm
- Support Density: 88%
- Support Height: 2.5- 3.0 mm
Prints made with QuraGUIDE resin must be raised slightly higher off the platform than other resins so that the supports and bottom portions do not cure together.
- Point Size: 0.8 – 1.3 mm
- Elbow Size: 1.1- 1.6 mm
- Bottom Size: 1.4 – 2.0 mm
- Support Density: 88%
- Support Height: 2.5 – 3.0 mm
We strongly recommend adding a base to your model because it allows the print to securely attach to the build platform. A base also makes the print easier to remove during processing.
- If you use the General support setting, Alpha 3D automatically adds a small base to every support. This small base is sufficient for most prints.
- Additionally, you can add a base around the entire print using the Base Thickness setting. This makes it easier to remove the print from the build platform.
A thicker base does not improve print performance. A Base Thickness of 0.400 mm or thicker can make a print less likely to succeed.
When all of the models that you want to print are in place, click the Printing Setup button to open the Printing Setup window.
Make sure the settings are as follows:
- Your printer is selected on the Printer Model dropdown list.
- QuraGUIDE is selected on the Material dropdown list.
- The Layer Thickness is set. We recommend a layer thickness of 100 micrometres.
Click the Print button to open the Print window and save your model as a print file. The top of the window shows your Printing Setup settings.
- Key in a Job Name.
- Click the Save button to save the name and settings.
Alpha 3D slices the model into layers and creates the print file. When the process is complete, it shows the IBF file in a window. You can now send this IBF file to your printer and start the printing process.
You must not let the QuraGUIDE material or any other transparent resin sit in the vat between prints or for an extended period of time. The ambient light can have a gradually affect on any resin in the vat. We strongly suggest you use only enough material for the immediate print.
When the printing process is complete, you must clean, dry, and remove the print supports.
- Cleaning Alcohol: Ethyl alcohol (95%) or isopropyl alcohol (99%)
- Ultrasonic Cleaner or Soak Time: 2 minutes
- Suggested UV Oven: Ackuretta UV Oven
- Suggested UV Oven Time: 30 seconds on the bottom side; turn the print over; 30 seconds on the top side.
Flash curing starts automatically when you press the Start button on the Ackuretta UV Oven. We strongly recommend you use flash curing because flash curing reduces resin distortion, but you can press and hold the Start button if you want to use continuous curing instead.